Saturday, July 5, 2008

Kid Fun - What kids should be doing

If there is one thing I believe in that is giving back to my community. Sometimes I don't think that the things I do make that much of a difference. I try to reach out to people on a one on one basis. Sometimes I spread myself too thin and I end up running myself ragged trying to do everything and doing nothing well. For a few years now I had been looking at the Big Brother, Big Sister program and thinking that it would be a good program for me to be involved in. Did I have the time? Certainly not. I signed up anyway and I have made the time. Hai'lee is my little sister and out of all the things I do spending quality time with her is the best use of my time. Hai'lee has a little brother, Don'tae who did not have a Big Brother yet so I started taking him with us to the pool in the winter. They play so well together that I never mind taking Don'tae too, as long as it is ok with Hai'lee.

A few weeks ago the kids got out for summer vacation and while so many kids are privileged with camp Hai'lee and Don'tae are not. So I took it upon myself to have a day of "camp" at the lake. We paddled the canoe (which they had never seen before) then went in the boat to watch some water skiing and finally got to practice their swimming from the dog dock. They were in heaven and honestly so was I. They had so much fun, spent quality time outside and did what every little kid should do - had fun at the lake!

No comments: