Monday, February 16, 2009

Winter Challenge Triathlon

Race season is nearing so I thought that this race would be a fun way to get an early race in and to have some fun. A week before the race I was out on Lake Lanier in the kayak playing around and I dumped myself IN the lake. I think that counts as my first open water swim of the year? In case you are wondering the water was really cold so I don't recommend open water swimming in January. On the day of the race which consists of a 7 mile run, 6 mile kayak, 10 mile mountain bike ride I did manage to stay in the kayak. I did not exactly have a great day because it seems I had that little stomach bug that so many have had. All I can say is thank goodness this race was off road. I needed all the big trees I could find. I guess it made the race a little bit more of a challenge for me than intended. My favorite part of the race was the paddling. I have paddled in an adventure race before but never alone. I LOVED it. I was flying along even in my sit-on-top ocean kayak. What fun! I enjoyed the mountain bike course too mostly because it was on sandy roads and the single track was pretty easy. The best part was seeing my friend and training partner, Kim Morrow almost win the entire event. I mean if I can't win I always want one of my friends up there. Unfortunately she got passed right at the end of the race...but she will be back next year!

Thanks to my parents for loading up the kayaks and lending me the truck to haul all this gear to the race!

No comments: