Thursday, October 4, 2007

Congratulations! Alles Gute!

Unfortunately I missed their wedding on September 7th and my post is long overdue but Alexandra (on the right) has been one of my best friends for the last 16 years so she deserves her spot on my glory blog!

Alexandra was my host sister when I was an exchange student in Germany in 1991. When I arrived I did not speak a word of German which made her role in my life VERY important. She was patient and kind. She taught me everything about her country and her language. Her English was already perfect back then and she would always indulge me in a good English conversation when she could see I needed it. She accepted me for who I was, watched as I made mistakes with my life, listened as I confided in her and always was there for me when I needed her over the years. She shared her family with me and has made me feel like I am a part of a family that I am not related to at all. She has a big heart and a wonderful way about her.

A few years ago she called me and told me that she had met the love of her life. Then she asked if I was sitting and asked me if I remembered Nicole from school. Of course I did. Then I realized that Nicole was the love of her life. I was surprised but after so many years of friendship I could only be happy for her. She was happy and she was in love. They came to visit us here and Nicole was equally great - just like Alex. So not only did Alex find her life partner, I felt like I made another friend. They compliment each other, they have fun together and now they are committed to each other.

I admire Alexandra and Nicole for following their hearts and blazing the path for others. While their way might be different than mine I will always love and respect them both. I wish them a lifetime of love and adventure together.

1 comment: