Monday, April 20, 2009

Very COLD Open Water Swim

Everyone keeps asking me "When can I do an open water swim?" and I keep telling them "It is too cold" well after my little splash in the lake on Sunday afternoon I am sticking to my guns and telling people to enjoy the pool a little longer. I think I swam about 800m in 18 min and for the most part the entire time I felt like I could not swim. I was so cold and taking such short quick breaths that I just did not feel comfortable. My legs were tired from a big weekend of training and the cold water just made every muscle in my body want to seize. I kept my wits about me and stayed relaxed so that I would not drown but I have no doubt that someone not as comfortable in the water would not have had a pleasant experience. The most fun part of this swim was watching the guys get in the water and scream out like little girls. I thought they were just doing it for my benefit but it turns out the water really was cold enough to make a big man sound like a child. I know - you are wondering what the temp was. I did measure it...I think the thermometer was not working well - but it said something like 53...VERY COLD!

1 comment:

Carolina John said...

haha, yea it was cold. i did a sprint tri lake swim yesterday, had 66 deg water temps for a 750 meter swim. it was a blast. i finished the swim leg in 18:55 so that's your speed.