Friday, June 1, 2007

1 Snake vs. 3 Dogs

Wednesday night seemed to be normal. I went for a great swim in the lake with Ashley. I got a little freaked out when I could see old wood under the water - you know it might attack me or something. Either way the very scary wood made me swim fast for at least another 300-400m. I think that was enough to count as my hard effort for the night.

Back at home we had a nice little dinner feast. I admit I only let 2 dogs in to join us since 6 dogs is just too many to have to dinner. The outside pups were quite but little did I know that at some point a sneaky snake (Copperhead) had invaded their territory. The snake was only a little over a foot long. I know this because it was still there - dead. 2 of the dogs looked as though the fight had been a close one. The third dog looked fine to me - I did not notice his wounds until I was back from the emergency vet clinic. At any rate I now know that Copperhead bites are not usually fatal to dogs. I wish I wish I had known that during the 100+ mph drive to Spartanburg. Willow was bitten in the mouth, Blue (new rescue dog) was bitten badly in the leg, and Duke (old rescue dog) was also bitten in the mouth. All are on pain killers and antibiotics now, swelling is going down and hopefully we are out of the woods.

I have spent the last 2 days trying to recover from staying up so late on Wed night. I am a wimp. The late-night-party-girl is no longer (ok, maybe never was) part of my character! Tomorrow morning I will volunteer for the Middle Tyger YMCA Tri. I will actually be happy to volunteer and cheer for all my athletes. More on that tomorrow.

No comments: