Saturday, June 16, 2007

Shameless Wheel Sucker

Today was long ride day (107 miles) and while I realize that triathlon is an individual sport and I should train in the wind today I just could not resist the temptation to draft. For those of you non-cyclists this means I sat as close as I could to the wheel of the cyclist in front of me for protection from the wind. It was a foggy wet morning and the roads remained very wet for most of our mountain adventure. As proof of my shameless drafting I was covered in road grime and grease from constant shower I received from the guys in front of me. I suffered on the climbs today, more so than usual but there was something great about the ride. I rode faster and harder than I would have if I were alone. Speeding down a road, sitting in the draft zone, getting covered in grime, screaming "car up, car back", I was smiling. Riding the bike is fun! Having friends that you can meet at dawn, ride with for hours through many moods is even better.

1 comment:

Renee Johnson said...

Hi Katie! If you decide you want to practice drafting on a run, Karl invites you to run from the eastside Y at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.