Sunday, August 26, 2007

TriAmerica

I went to Anderson, SC this morning ready to race if it was in the cards for me. After a quick warm-up of about 10 strokes I walked out of the water and turned in my timing chip - my shoulder is not ready to swim despite the fact that my mind wants to. I went from participant to volunteer in a matter of moments and found that my services as a volunteer were needed. I took off with a car full of others to man the bike course. After I dropped them all off I made my way to the point where the bike course and run course connected. It was here that 3 loose dogs were waiting for unsuspecting cyclists. I was able to deter 2 of the dogs but the 3rd who was a little yellow lab/mix pup of about 6 months was not going to be scared away so easily. So for close to 3 hours I held the little pup on a piece of rope to keep her out of the way. She was just an accident waiting to happen. At the point when I knew there were only another 1 or 2 cyclists on the course I needed to get back in my car and pick up the other volunteers so I let the crazy little dog loose. She went charging after the runners and within minutes of my departure she had taken her first cyclist down. The girl suffered a broken wrist and I just feel guilty as hell about it. Seems some bad injury karma is following me around!

On a happier note Malone Coaching athletes had a good day and cleaned up in the hardware department. Three of the guys were in the top 10 so that has to be a good day at my office!

No comments: