Friday, September 28, 2007

Finish Line

This picture says it all - FINISH! That is exactly the way I felt after we finished cleaning up, loading and unloading everything that was needed to put on this race. We were up at 4:00 and I cleaned the last cooler out at 3:00 in the afternoon. The race was a success - we had 273 people register and 231 people finish. I think a lot of the pre-registered people just did not show up, it wasn't that they did not make it around the lake. The whole experience of putting on the race is absolutely amazing because of the impact that this little race has on our community. Everyone comes together to make it happen. Volunteers appear who are not runners to help in any way they can. We all work together as a team. When I was in college I had a class on Team Building. It was the only class I got a "B" in. I just wish that professor could see me now. I feel sure she would take that back! A big factor in my new team skills is that all the people I have been working with are "workers" they all make things happen and take responsibility. While most of us are not paid for our efforts we all treat the volunteer work as if it were a job and that attitude makes all the difference. We are already planning a bigger, better race for next year.

No comments: