Thursday, January 10, 2008

It happens to me too

Yesterday I had a track workout, a big, bad, challenging workout. Maybe in the middle of the season it would not have seemed so intimidating but yesterday it might as well have said to run 50 miles. I was so freaked out about this workout that I stressed all day about it. Ate all the wrong foods and just in general made myself ill. I still showed up at the track but even standing there getting ready to begin I found myself procrastinating - retying shoes, adjusting this or that. There were no excuses left. I HAD TO start! Once I started I really did not feel bad but did secretly wish I was doing my cool down instead of the warm-up. A few high school boys sat in the bleachers "cheering" for me. Honestly, not sure what they were doing but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus they were very proud of themselves when they asked me if I was doing "fartleks". Of course I wasn't - I was doing 8x800. The marathon is only 3 weeks away so it was time to do this workout which for some reason always seems to work - whatever the avg. pace of the 8x800's are - that turns out to be your marathon time. Soo - all of mine were under 3:14 so hopefully my marathon time will be somewhere in that department. You know once I was into the workout it was not nearly as bad as I imagined it, or I am in better shape than I realized. The night was warm and beautiful. What a pleasure to be outside, what on earth had I been worried about all day? It was a great workout - especially once completed!

1 comment:

Chris said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the ONLY on e who gets all "wound up" before a big track workout! :-)

Glad to see that you were able to Git-R-dun and even had some guys cheering you on.

Sometimes I think that the hardest part of training is the mental part and just getting out there are doing a particular workout. The more I worry about it the more excuses Imake to NOT start the workout. Hmmm - Now Imagine that worrying doesn't help?! :-)