Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year's Resolution Run -Half Marathon

Last weekend I had a nice long 20 miler that I needed to get done so I figured that I could run a 4 mile warm-up, run the race and then run a 3 mile cool-down and call it a day. My goal was to run a 7:30 pace but on the course in Traveler's Rest this meant I needed to run a little faster to begin with to compensate for the hills at the end. I also wanted to eat my gel as planned every 3 miles instead of getting distracted talking to fellow racers (see me to the right in the picture - probably talking). I was really tempted to run faster than the plan, especially when Carmen to the left in the picture and Laura took off in Furman but I stuck to the plan. I had a really good quality workout, snagged 3rd place for the women and feel like I am on track to accomplishing this year's goals. Oh wait...I had fun too. I even had the pleasure of watching some of the guys I coach walk away with awards which makes it an even better day! Sometimes I race so much that I forget how lucky I am to be able to do this (Coach & Race). During my cool down I got to witness the joy that accomplishing a goal can bring. Finishing a race that only a year earlier seemed impossible to this athlete, watching him cross one finish line only to move on to others that are more challenging. This race was indeed a stepping stone in the new year.

No comments: