Friday, March 14, 2008

Race Season is here!

In the last 2 weeks I have attempted to spend more time training and less time at the computer but honestly when I add it all up the computer still wins. Either way tomorrow is the first race of the season and ready or not I will be racing. It will be good motivation for the training in the weeks ahead. The beauty of coaching is that many of the athletes I work with are ready for this race and they are going to set some PR's (personal records for those of you who are non-racers). They are going accomplish a lot more than I ever could have by myself and in many ways I enjoy watching them achieve their goals and have great races more than I do racing myself. My motivation to finish fast is so that I can go back out on the course and cheer, encourage, coach when needed. I am going to get M&M's today at the store to dangle in front of one of my favorite athletes who will do anything for M&M's. Hopefully this will tactic will make her smile and relax enough to have the race that she deserves for all the training she has done. Some, ok most, of the people I coach, have become friends as well. I respect their drive and enthusiasm for the sport so at a race like this where our starting times are all staggered I can truly enjoy watching everyone. Those who have been with me for years who are just getting to the level where they want to be, racing to their full capacity. Those who are new to the sport and excited about everything they learn and every finish line they cross.

For me this year marks my 21st year of racing and 5th year of coaching. This sport has come along way since my first pair of fluorescent aero bars that I owned!

No comments: