Sunday, May 25, 2008

Disney 70.3


Part of the Malone Coaching crew making our way to the transition area the day before the race. Don't we look silly with our Aero helmets on and our "day" clothes. If only Kimberley had left on the high heels she wanted to wear then the look really would have been complete. (No, I did not let her out of the house in them until AFTER the race)
My after race meal - a little protein! I had to share them but I probably could have taken care of them myself. Sione can't eat pork so I did at least get hers!
Ah - a nice picture of us after the race. I am relaxed and worn out. Sione is happy with her 8th place finish and a little prize money in her pocket.

The race and the trip quick summary: As always it is a little more complicated going to a race that is far away and one that is big. We rented a townhouse with a garage to prep the bikes in and a big kitchen to cook our meals in. Meals were planned out and we shopped strategically so that we did not waste anything. We were busy the entire time we were there with a little training, cooking, preparing etc. Although the best part was when we sat down to have dinner together. We talked and told stories and reminisced about all the races we have been to together and how no matter what happens during the race the best part about this sport is the friends that we have made. It almost brought tears to my eyes, well at least until we started driving each other nuts with type "A" behavior so typical of tri geeks.

The race - race morning Malone Coaching was minus 1 person who was so ill they could not race. What a bummer! Everyone else showed up and enjoyed the incredible energy that surrounds an early morning start. The pros were off at 6:20 for the men and 6:23 for the women. I watched and cheered for Sione as she went and in a way was secretly sad that I am no longer competing as a pro - but then again I don't train like one either! Then I enjoyed the morning and the music and people watching. My wave finally got off and I enjoyed swimming in the front of the pack for a change. My new skin suit thing worked magic and I slipped through all the swim traffic without a problem. I actually had FUN! Out on the bike the course was pretty flat with a few rollers and I had more fun - the race was going amazingly well but then the sun came out and it got hot and I started to get chills on the run and that is when it became not so fun. I had to do the survival jog right along with so many others. Our unusually cold spring here in the Carolina's did not prepare me for FL heat. Oh well. I still had fun. Best part about the day was that Kimberley won her age group! Sione snagged 8th place which was the last paying spot on the podium. Both also got slots to the World Championships 70.3 in Clearwater in Nov.

Oh - and I snagged (Basically outwaited all others) a spot into Ironman WI. I have some unfinished business there!

1 comment:

Chris said...

great shots Katie! Than ks again for getting me to Florida this year. Too bad Brad didn't get to race but I'm glad that he is feeling better. You are now kicking my butt in blogging. You GO!!!

BTW, great race in Fla!