Monday, August 18, 2008

Greenville Sprint Triathlon

This is just a quick update about the race for those of you taking your Monday morning "smoke break". I admit that most of my posts are short, quick and to the point but who really wants to hear all the gory details of my race?

For those of you who were not there the day started off with a bang...as in thunder and lightening. We have not had rain for so long I forgot what it is like. Thankfully it passed quickly and we were able to have a swim (400 m) in the pool. You would think as a runner I would have been happy if it had changed to a duathlon but honestly I don't enjoy running 2x and for some reason I find a swim before a bike and a run relaxing. The swim was over faster than I could even get warmed up. The bike (15 miles) was treacherous and I prayed that I would not fall. I admit that I rode very cautiously. All the work I have been doing training for Ironman WI could be undone all too quickly. Despite going a little slower downhill and taking corners carefully I still managed a good bike. My legs did not feel great but who cares since they did the work. On to the run (3 miles) which I LOVE! This run is rolling with a long gradual dirt hill in the middle that you get to run up and down 2x. It is really a fun run course. I ran with that attitude as well and managed a good run time. I was still minutes behind the leader, but she is wicked fast, so I was very pleased with my day in finishing 2nd overall. My time was 1:09 which is typical for me on this course.

After I was finished I went out and ran laps going in the other direction so that I was able to see many of those I coach and cheer for countless others. I love this part of a race just as much as racing. While I was out running I also realized that while many Malone Coaching athletes were racing there were some volunteering as well. Volunteering is hard work and often more tiring than racing but there were Fred, Monica and Pam all out there working for hours to make sure the rest of us could have a good race. I thank them for doing this and setting a good example for the rest of us. Meanwhile there was a huge crowd of Malone Coaching athletes setting PR's - Jim, Audrey, Wanda, Tiffany, Chris Dillard, Chris Smutzer (unfortunately crashed but is ok), Lisa, Laura, Andy (still won the Clydesdale Division even after crashing), Brad, James, Don and Mike.

That is all for now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sure was an interesting morning. I too took it very easily on bike as it was dangerous w/ the standing water on the roads. Glad you did so well and your IM training is progressing. Only 20 days, good luck! J

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie - I don't know you, but you coach a couple of my BiLo teammates. Thanks for the cheering as you ran your cool down, it was appreciated as I slogged my way through my 1st tri!