Friday, June 13, 2008

This Sport We Love...

I admit that I am behind - hopelessly behind on blogging. Actually I have been behind on everything for the past few weeks but I think that as of today I am more or less caught up. Sure I need to put race results for the entire season out on my website for all of my athletes but in thinking about it...will that make me a better coach? Probably not, so I am not going to sweat it. I will get the results out there one of these days. There have been some great results and great disappointments so far this year. Where shall I start? Audrey (pictured above) has now done 2 triathlons, she is a bona-fide triathlete. She works her butt off and does not give up- she even walked away with some swag from the Middle Tyger YMCA Triathlon. Jim on the other hand walked back with his bike that got 2 flat tires, although he did bring an impressive positive attitude with him. The next weekend he went on to finish his first Olympic Distance race at Festival of Flowers. Back at the MTY Tri Kimberley won in fine fashion only to learn a few days later that she has a stress fracture in her tibia. Suzanne smoked the course at Festival of Flowers posting a PR for an Olympic Distance race by something like 16 min AND placing 3rd in her age group. She showed fine form on the run and left with the confidence that she was going to Ironman Coeur d'Alene to cross that finish line and still be able to go out for dinner afterwards. Then a cruel turn of fate this week sent her sailing over the handle bars and into the emergency room. There will be no race for her in Coeur d'Alene. She has spent the last year preparing for this and now must come up with another plan of action.

You probably wonder where I am going with all of this. I guess if there is one thing I have learned through doing and watching is that you have to be flexible. "The winds change, so adjust your sail" Injuries or mishaps force us into changing plans mid flight and not try to control the uncontrollable. I am convinced that when something is not meant to be you have to just go with the flow. Some days you have the gift some days you just don't.

No comments: