Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Building Wheels and moving forward...

Some of you know that I am in Colorado and for those of you who did not know before now...I am in Colorado Springs for 2 weeks. I am taking an intensive course at the Barnett Bicycle Institute (BBI).I have already been through 3 days of classes and learned more than I ever expected. Their teaching style here is one that really works for me. First they show you and then you have to go to a work bench and do it. Thus far that has included taking apart and putting back together an entire headset, bottom bracket, and rear hub. Today was a very exciting day because we got to build wheels! There was something really satisfying to me to lace those spokes up all by myself and in some way it was fun too. I don’t know why I waited so long to learn how to care for my bike. I have always enjoyed tinkering with it but now I am really going to know how to take care of it inside and out.

More importantly this class has given me the opportunity to learn something completely new. For some reason as adults this seems to take us out of our comfort zone and we tend to just do things we have always done. We miss out on new opportunities to learn and grow. I admit it was hard to get my life organized enough to go out of town for two weeks but I can already tell that the wealth of knowledge and the change of pace will far outweigh the stress of getting ready to leave town.

I have not done any training (yet) but that is only because I got a terrible cold when I arrived and have not been able to get over it. So as soon as I am feeling back to normal I plan to check out the trails that are out the back door and get my fill of training at altitude. Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow, but around here it will be business as usual!

For those of you who still think I am on vacation I have class everyday from 8:30-5:30 and then at least 2 hours of homework. The homework has to be turned in the next day so it is mandatory. I forgot how much fun it is to go to school! The days are flying by.

Pictures will be posted when I am home…

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hey Katie, Glad that you're having fun and learning a ton of stuff. It would be pretty awesome to take a course like that.

Now, when you get back, my bike can be the first that you "practice" on for a complete teardown, cleaning and reassemble! :-)

Sorry to hear your under the weather. I guess that I shouldn't tell you that it's been in the 50-60's here with only a few days of rain! But, I will say that the wind has been a killer. (good practice for PI coming up)

Take care and have fun!!

Chris