Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sick Tourist and Lots of Rocks!

I have never taken so many pictures of rocks. There are all sorts of cool rock formations, different colors, different sizes, shapes - with awesome views behind them. Pikes Peak will be in the background of at least half of my "rock" pictures. The rocks here are even named - Siamese Twins or the Kissing Camels. Most rocks are posted too - NO CLIMBING OR SCRAMBLING (climbing higher than 10 ft). I have to admit the temptation to climb is great with all these cool rocks and views.
Yesterday I made a tourist day. No running or biking just touring – something I don’t really do too often but I decided that I could make it a new sport! I started the day with a visit to the Olympic Training Center. I got to see the women weight lifters at work. WOW – that was impressive! Then a woman wrester working out, a shooting competition, a gymnastics competition, a bunch of stinky wrestlers from all over the world training together, a volleyball camp for girls from all over the country. There were even a few people swimming. I could have stayed there all day long and watched. I love learning about the different sports and watching people who are striving to be the absolute best. The motto for Beijing is “Amazing Awaits” which I like. I think I might even adopt it. The Ironman slogan of “Anything is possible” is getting old.

After the Olympic Training Center which held my attention for much longer than I had anticipated I headed for a train ride that had been recommended to me. I have not been on a train in the US since my cousin took me to Madison Square Garden to watch the Globe Trotters when I was 5 so this was an adventure. As a side note I almost missed the train. I misjudged the distance and ended up being the last to board. I enjoyed a cup of Starbuck’s and an amazing view of the cliffs and the river and the highest suspension bridge anywhere in the world. Of course in the pictures the bridge just looks like a line in the sky. My photography skills just have not been able to do the landscape here justice. The ride was really relaxing – only 26 miles but it was great. Ironically the place where the train ride started is called Canon City. There are at least 2 prisons there and the town’s signs all read “Come do time with us”!

After that the day was pretty much over. I took a short break and then walked through Garden of the Gods – which is where many of the interesting rock formations are found. It was breathtaking – and not just because of the altitude.

For one day of sightseeing I was quite pleased with my progress! Aside from the fact that I still have a sore throat I am feeling pretty good.

No comments: