Saturday, November 10, 2007

Catching Up & Rambling

This week was the beginning of my marathon training. Basically that means I am back on a training schedule for the first time in months (since the accident at Lake Placid at the end of July). I realize my training is of little interest to most of you and that I rarely blog about it because for the most part it is not that interesting...swim, bike, run, eat, sleep. I always think it is all the things I do in between those that make my life truly whole.

Training & Racing:

Last weekend I ran a 10K trail run (Peoplechase) at FENCE. To anyone who has been there they can appreciate the fact that it is super hilly. I ran with Willow & Pepe' which I have never done before in a race but it was actually a good strategic move since they literally pulled me up the first hill! I normally don't run with them on a leash so it was new to them and me. After the first half a mile we (me, Pepe' & Willow) were in the lead of ALL 5K & 10K runners! This was not really where we belonged so I pulled over and let all the serious runners (Armando too) pass. Then I took the pups off the lead and let them heel next to me. We had a great race together and ended up winning the 10K for the women. (ok, I admit there were not that many women in the racer - but hey, a win is a win!)

The beauty of the race at FENCE was that I was sore afterwards. I guess that means I worked hard. So I started my first week of marathon training sore! I am following Hal Higdon's Advanced Marathon Training Program. I did not realize that the advanced program is longer than his usual 12 week program so I am getting a late start on it. Oh well. This week I will probably log about 40+ miles which is a lot more than I have run in a long time. Just in case you are wondering. I can feel it. I feel old, my feet hurt, my legs are sore. My abs are killing me from some stupid plyometric exercises I did where you have to jump up and down on boxes. I guess I am getting a good dose of my own medicine!

Today was an optional race day on the schedule. I was in luck, there was a 6K trail run in Greenville. John and I and Willow & Duke all headed for another weekend of trail running. The single track at Paris Mtn. State Park is great - just not if you are trying to run with a dog. I opted out of running with Willow even though she was my designated partner. There were too many serious runners where I was going to be running and I did not want to risk anyone tripping. I gave both the dogs to John who ran more towards the back of the pack. Of course he just let the leashes go after the initial 1/4 mile. At the finish he was asked his number 2x - so my guess is that they are going to send him a fine for having the dogs off the leash. So my race...I felt great on the flats and downhill and then really could feel the lifting from the week and my dead quads on the hills. I had no strength - but after all this was just for training. I conceded and ran within my limits. I ended up 5th overall in 35:25 - although I think the race was a little longer than a 6K...Either was I had fun tearing through the woods chasing, running up stone stairs and being in the crisp fall air.

See this is why I don't write about training much. It seems to just go on and on and on and who really cares!? Anyone besides me?

Other developments:

Soon I will start working part-time at the Great Escape in Spartanburg. So this coming week I was offered to go to the Trek clinic on triathlon bike fitting. I will head to Asheville for this on Wed. I am sure I will learn a lot and hopefully be able to pass that along to people I coach and maybe to people that buy a bike from me :o) hint hint

In February I will be heading to Colorado Springs to the Barnett Bicycle Institute to take a 2 week class for bike mechanics. Something new for me, but I feel like it is something that will really help me to know.

Next weekend I will be in Atlanta at a USA Cycling clinic on training with a Power Meter. I am sure I will learn a lot of valuable training information I have a feeling it is going to be a long 2 days of class but I have to keep up with my continuing education credits somehow.

I will be racing as an Age Grouper again in 2008.

Dogs:

Friday I had a great day of running errands and going to lunch. Little did I know that while I was out gallivanting that my dogs were terrorizing the house. I kid you not, the dogs did something really really bad! I had covers over the outside faucets to keep them from freezing. Yes, I realize it is not that cold but I just wanted to make sure I had it done just in case. Well, the dogs love to eat these covers and I know that but I thought maybe they were old enough this year not to mess with the cover. I was wrong. They tugged and pulled at the cover for hours, obviously enjoying the little bungee that hold it on. As they would pull the faucet would turn on and the water would run and run and run until there was no more water. You got it. The well went dry and we had no water in our house for a good 6-8 hours thanks to the dogs. I am sure the fact that we are having a drought had something to do with it, but basically it is a very scary thought that we possibly would have to drill another well because the DOGS ran the well dry!

As if the well going dry was not enough. Pepe' started getting sick last night. He was acting the same way he did when he ate a rock. Today when I got home from the race he had thrown up everywhere. I got to the vet 15min before they closed. They did an x-ray and nothing showed up. Then she felt his belly and could feel the blockage but whatever it was it did not show up in the x-ray. All I could think was that I was going to be back there in the middle of the night on a Saturday! Lucky for me after a shot of muscle relaxers Pepe' came home and deposited a golf ball size ball of GRASS! Crazy dog! Why couldn't he have done that before the $150 vet bill? He is now recovering well and the carpets he threw-up on are almost dry.

I think that is everything. Apologies for the long blog but boy do I feel better now that I got all that off my chest!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Ha Ha! Serves you right to be sore! Now you see what you put your students through. ;-)

Sound slike you have a busy next couple of weeks coming up. I'm already not "feeling the love" and am going to need some TLC. :-)

Can I got CS with you? Not fair!! harrumphh! *sigh*

Suzanne said...

Hmmm... racing as an age grouper... and dang it you are gonna be in my age group. That's sooooo not fair!!!

Glad Pepe is ok!